Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mouthwash recipe

While reading a recent post, some of you may have been wondering why I was so desperate for the Vodka. And so here is the recipe for the nastiest mouthwash you'll ever taste. But, it really works.

In a quart jar combine:

1 1/2 cups vodka
1/2 oz. of sanguinara (blood root), crushed
1 T myrrh
3 T dried spear mint

Let sit for two weeks, shaking daily. Strain and add enough water to make a quart. Use a teaspoon to a tablespoon daily.

I'm afraid the purpose is to cleanse the teeth/gums and not the breath, so I certainly wouldn't recommend using it before having company over. But the terrible toothache I had when hunting for the Vodka is all but gone, and I'm not quite so nervous about visiting the dentist now. ;)

The recipe is from this handy little book which, along with many other recipes, explains the benefits of each of these ingredients. One thing I know, myrrh was not precious because of it's nice sweet flavor.

No comments: