Monday, September 22, 2008

The commonwealth, CSS & classics



Books. The last few weeks I've been looking at all the books on the bookshelf that I haven't read yet and really ought to... and the many I want to read again.

On this first day of Autumn, Katrina posted a reading challenge for the fall. What a great time to get started on that stack of books!

Here's my reading goal this fall. Not a very long list, but there are a couple books that will take me quite a while to plow through.

Christianity and the Commonwealth by Charles B. Galloway- With elections just around the corner, this set of five lectures by Prof. Galloway looked really good.

The Law by Frederic Bastiat- It's been ten years since I read this great little gem and it's definitely time to read it again. Besides, can't let Joshua be the only one in the family reading 'bout the law, can I?

Female Piety by John Angell James - A great classic for Christian women that I want to reread. Though written over a century ago, it's still practical today.

CSS Mastery by Andy Budd- Yeah, we'll see about this one. Definitely one that will take lots of time and discipline to conquer, but it will be good to study something new and challenging.

...and some fiction...

The Aeneid by Virgil- A lit. major and haven't read this classic yet. Oh dear, better remedy that!

St. Bartholomew's Eve by G.A. Henty- Growing up I just loved Henty's books and am in the middle of recording one for librivox. Really want to finish it up!

The Talisman by Sir Walter Scott- After devouring Ivanhoe, Joshua and I picked up a copy of his St. Ronan's Well. It was one of the most dreadfully disappointing books ever! After a great build up to what seems will be a perfect ending, I think he woke up with a hangover and decided to write the worst ending in history. Ugh! Anyway, I've heard great things about the Talisman and am going to give Scott another try.


1 comment:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Definitely some heavy reading there! Enjoy your books. Thanks for being part of Fall Into Reading 2008!