Monday, April 6, 2009

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Joshua is a PP&J fan, I am not. I love meat and cheese sandwiches but have had a difficult time finding lunch meat for less than five dollars a pound--which seems way too much to me. So I just haven't been buying it much.

But being pregnant Joshua is constantly encouraging me to eat more protein. How do you do so inexpensively?

A couple weeks ago a good friend had Rosalind and me over for lunch and served us delicious chicken salad sandwiches. After I told her how much I loved chicken salad she commented on what a great frugal lunch it was. I had never even considered how inexpensive it was compared to lunch meat.


Split chicken breasts are often on sale here for a dollar or dollar fifty [and you not only get great chicken salad from it, but chicken broth for other meals as well!]

We like ours pretty simple with just dressing, onions and celery. But even adding grapes or apples, sprouts or water chestnuts, it stills ends up costing under two dollars a pound and is loaded with protein, less processed than most lunch meats and simply delicious. Plus, if you prepare a big batch at a time, it makes for very quick sandwich prep. My new favorite lunch. :)

Thanks Candace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sure looks good. :)
love you soooooooooooooooooooo much!

Tell Rose and Josh hi.

Rebekka