Monday, May 4, 2009

Coconut success and menu plan

Sometimes I feel like a little kid when I open up the jar of coconut oil. For some silly reason, I'm always curious to know just how solid or liquid it will be this time. It melts and hardens so quickly depending on the temperature of the room it could almost work as a thermostat.

Anyway, in an effort to completely clear out the freezer and fridge before leaving, I haven't gone shopping at all the last few weeks except for the few perishable necessities like milk and veggies. I had no idea how much food I'd managed to cram into the freezer!

As I whipped up some creamed chicken to serve over biscuits I realized that we just had one and a half sticks of butter left (and no shortening in the cupboard). What should I do? I really didn't want to use it up now. Then, remembering how solid coconut oil is when refrigerated for a few minutes I decided to give it a try...and even found a recipe for coconut oil biscuits. Joshua didn't notice a difference at all and if anything I thought they were a bit more flaky than butter biscuits.

Besides cooking, Lindsay has a great list of other things to do with coconut oil that I've been slowly trying. I've begun using it as a facial lotion after showering and have finally found something natural which leaves my face feeling moisturized that Joshua actually likes. ;) Her simple deodorant recipe also works way better than any of the over-priced natural kinds --without the dangerous ingredients found in regular deodorant.

Back to the kitchen: I was excited to find that we have the perfect amount of food left in the freezer for easy-to-prepare dinners until we leave. As Rosalind would say, "yaaaay!" ;)

Breakfasts:

Cinnamon rolls and eggs
Pumpkin bread
Blueberry coffee cake
Yogurt smoothies
Applesauce muffins
Eggs, bacon and hash browns
Cereal (hopefully we can empty all the open boxes!)

Dinners

Skillet chops with mashed potatoes and gravy
Chicken enchiladas
Bratwursts
Leftover fennel and white bean soup
Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes
Springfield-style cashew chicken
Leftover lentil rice casserole
Brats fried in a potato skillet
Hamburger noodle toss
Baked potato bar

For many many menu plans go here.

photo by tarin janjobkatt

3 comments:

Niki Jolene said...

It all sound so good, especially the cashew chicken!

Mmmm!!!

:)

A'yi said...

Wow, it is really sounding like you are going to be coming soon! "yaay!":) Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

YUM!!